With some help from friends and a copy of Middletons – Build your house of earth, we learned to make
and lay mudbricks by trial and error. In the beginning it was hard going and we struggled to make 50
bricks a day, but getting some idea from others who had been there before and developing a few muscles
and blisters we reached a level of 150 without knocking ourselves out. I should add that everyone in the
family helped, we spent about a year making and laying the mudbricks which gave us time to save enough
from our part time jobs to buy what we needed to get to lockup stage. It was great to look back after
that first stage and realise how little money we had needed to get the bricks made and laid ready for
the iron to go on the roof.